Friday, July 28, 2006

I went to the jin jil bang again this evening, this time just to go in the baths, not to spend the night. Whoa. Last time the very hot bath had been just about bearable, so today I hopped right in, not knowing that they had increased the heat to 45 celsius. I think I almost passed out. Not to mention the sauna that was 96 celsius. Are those temperatures even legal in the US?

Lots of the women here have patterns of perfectly round scars about the size of a sand dollar on their backs. Some have a single row of four down the middle, others have 8 or 10 scattered all over. Jy says they're from acupuncture, but I'm thinking Korea actually just has a very high alien abduction rate.

I taught my first lesson on Thursday, about different types of words we use to describe paintings, to a class of 3 girls and 5 boys, all at an intermediate level (about middle school). It went...OK. They first question I asked I got eight silent, stony faces, and I thought I was a dead man. As soon as I started asking really easy questions, playing games, and (prob. most importantly) handing out chocolate in excahnge for correct answers things really picked up. I wonder if candy will have the same effect on high schoolers. If so, I definitely ned to pick up a jumbo bag. If not...what? Start handing out cash?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janaki, Janaki!!

My stomach aches! I'm laughing so hard I can barely breathe. I think Caroline wants to kill me, because I've basically read every word of your blog out loud and she's told me countless times that's she's already read it and agrees that it's hilarious, but she's trying to read her book- how boring...

My favorite part is imagining you austerely laying on your mat and then popping up for a vibrating & rocking toilet experience- have they incorporated this into any fun amusement park rides?

Thanks for keeping us entertained. I'm going to be on your blog regularly while I while away hours at work.

Keep it up! And we love you!

-Lucky