So today in class we played "telephone" using sentences that have letters that are tough for Koreans to pronounce. For instance the difference between "eel" and "ail." It was a difficulty brough to the fore when the kid at the end of a row of students with the sentence "You failed to fill up the pail" came up and wrote on the board "You failed to feel up the pail." Huh.
So everyone knows that people here wear crazy shirts with random English phrases and lettering printed all over them. Usually things lifted totally out of context, along the lines of, "instructions before use. Never use while" etc. etc. Yesterday I saw a rather jarring one though, a bright pink t-shirt with words in green printed on the back that said, "painlessly in the night. He is survived by his wife, Anne, and three daughters. Services."
The kids were complete hooligans today. Blah. I wish I were 300 pounds and six feet tall and could carry a gun. Then they'd listen. As it is whenever I tell them not to do something, they mimic me and laugh! Am I really that squeaky??? I moved one kid who was being particularly irksome up to the front of the class, but of course that just put him right next to the desk, with easy access to the chalk and hammer (of course there was a hammer on the desk...where do you keep YOUR hammer?). He probably spent a good 5 minutes expertly pulverizing some yellow chalk before I even noticed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment