Anyway, after all that wandering, we ended up being shepherded into this TINY tent, jam-packed full of families. The puppet show itself was SO INCOMPREHENSIBLE. I mean, to be fair, it was in Korean. Anyway, one scene, between a tiger and an old lady, was apparently repeated, verbatim, about four times, until finally the tiger (the antagonist) ATE the old woman...it was a little shocking. The pre-show activities included a very peppy woman emerging from the puppet box, dragging a small child up to the front next to her, thrusting a microphone into the kid’s hand and then demanding, very sweetly, that they sing along to a number of Korean children’s songs while she sort of dancd and pranced around him. This woman had pigtails, which in Korea automatically means that she is “cute.” (During one of our vocab lessons we had to guess what adjectives described various people...tired, happy, etc. Anyway, when we go to the picture of the woman with crazy sticking-out pigtails scruching up her face and sticking out her tongue every single person reacted along the line of “aaah, ugly, scary, annoying.” Nope, cute.) The kid who sang the second song looked frankly terrified. I however, was delighted because this song was the NUMBERS SONG.
This is a picture of me in front 60 of my peers, the Orientation, my teachers, and a lot of the higher-ups at Fulbright and Korea University dancing to the numbers song:

The numbers song is Korea’s answer to Alvin and the Chipmunks. Very squeaky, very fast. Each line starts with a new number, but integrated into a sentence. As in “one day I went to the fair, Two-sday I didn’t.” Or something. I’m a terrible lyricist, clearly. Anyway, this is a kids song, but the lyrics are....well, they don’t express feelings you think kids might ever have. It’s along the lines of “I can’t stand to be away from you for even one second, life is torture when I can’t see you. When I see you migh heart beats so hard I think I am going to die. Na na na na na.”
So, why were all these people assembled to see us dance? Hm, it was our graduation from the language course we all had to take during orientation. So, I now have a certificate of achievement from Korea University (motto: Libertas, Justitia, Veritas). I even have a written evaluation, but it’s all in Korean, so right now I’m just guessing that I actually passed.
Ah, I also have two pictures from Tae Kwon Do. I don’t think I mentioned it, but I PASSED MY YELLOW BELT TEST. Yessss! This is only slightly tempered by the fact that when we practice at his gym we are usually joined by his 10 year-old, four foot high black belt students. Whatever. Yellow belt. Awesome.
We all look a little wild-eyed here, I think because for the past hour we have been kicking and punching in an incredibly hot room to the point where we think we might actually pass out:

OK, advance warning that this is a VERY UNFLATTERING picture of me. However, I think I look at least somewhat tough, so I want to show it off. Oh dear. Fortunately I'm not the one in the very front (try off to the right a bit...):

3 comments:
Hi Janaki !!! Your description of this um festival was so vivid, I felt like I was there...but thank god I wasn't!! I'm sure that I would have had a panic attack with all those people around me...it sounds like a very crowded (but fascinating!) place. And congratulations on your yellow belt....I saw your leg out there in the photo kicking impressively...Love, Auntie M
how are you liking tkd? it must be hard. if you get to a black belt, you get nunchucks, right? i cannot pic you with nunchucks. but, i hope that you are havin a great time. if you can see/ rent any movies in english or at least with english subtitles, you should see "She's the Man." It is so funny. It stars Amanda Bynes and she disguises as her twin brother and tries out for a guys soccer team, but i think that you might get a kick out of it. love you lots!!
talk later!!!
liv
Janaki - the blog is absolutely hilarious. I'm green with envy. Especially these days when there are about a dozen other students left in Williamstown (I'm back in Currier for the week -- super creepy). Hope you continue to have an amazing time, I'll certainly be following along....
Kristof
Post a Comment