Monday, September 10, 2007



One of my students got the HIGHEST SCORE IN KOREA on a practice exam for the Korean SAT. I already love her because of her Harry Potter glasses, but this is just too much.

Just a note: the girl behind the girl who got the HIGHEST SCORE IN KOREA is not bending down to pick up a dropped pen...she's just displaying typical Korean girl behavior when someone takes out a camera, which is to go to whatever lengths necessary to totally, completely hide your face, including attempting to launch yourself out of your seat. Taking a picture of one of my students in the middle of a classroom can feel a little like parting the Red Sea:



Though sometimes their efforts make for a nice backdrop...Incidentally, in addition to a giant orange towel to my class (why?) this girl and her best friend both bring pillows. Pillows with big cute eyes and doggy ears. Actually, I think you can see her clutching hers. They've promised me that the pillows aren't indtended just to make sleeping through my class all the more comfortable...but then why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My students promise me that it's to make sleeping through math class easier. They all love English. They all hate math. I'm certain that all of them are telling the truth. Also, I think some girls do it so they can sit comfortably in a skirt without flashing you.

Anonymous said...

Janaki, I just rediscovered your blog and I must say it's by far the best way of procrastinating while I should be doing my computational biology homework...

I'm assuming from your posts that you're spending another year in Korea. Hope you have a great time. Come visit Boston soon, I miss you! I'll be here for the next couple years though, so I guess there's no rush...

-- Kristof