This is so weird. I think the past five months I've spent teaching in Korea represent the most measurable improvement in some ability that I've ever experienced. I'm just thinking back to August, when I had to come up with a 45-minute lesson plan for Camp Fulbright. OK, so I spent at least three horrified nights staring at the cracks in the wall next to my bed trying to think of ANYTHING I could possibly plan a lesson about. Even after deciding to teach the kids about paintings (I obviously really stretched myself on that topic), actually planning the lesson took about THREE HOURS. The entire four-day process, including the actual teaching, was overshadowed by a great deal of sweaty-palmed, barely disguised panic. So now, fast forward to today. I just found out this morning that I have to teach at a middle school English camp tomorrow, three 70-minute lessons. And I am not freaked out AT ALL. It took me about twenty minutes just now to plan what I was gonna do with the kids. What happened to me? Honestly, this is really a first.
So I had my advanced class (which I LOVE) write letters to Olivia this week. Only a few of them even remembered that I had a fifteen-year-old sister--probably they same kids that offered to be Olivia's boyfriend when I mentioned her on the first day of class. Anyway, they all got really, really nervous when I told them that they were gonna have to write to her, but that nervousness definitely channeled itself into some VERY focused writing. They were all bending over their desks, literally with their tongues clenched between their teeth in concentration. I had them all write first drafts on scratch paper, which by the end were covered in scribbles and arrows; they were shooting for perfection. I gave them the choice of three types of stationery (one with boats and hearts, one with teddy bears and glitter and one, the most masculine I could find, that said "I luv military style") for their final draft. A few excerpts:
"The world is so beautiful! isn't it? My name is Blah Blah-Blah who wants to be a mathematician. Do you think the start of this letter is a little strange? That's because I like to take my life positively. I can say the start reflects my attitude to life." (This is the kid who told me today that he like to solve math problems because of catharsis.)
"We study at school all day! It's too cruel!"
"Frankly speaking, writing the letter to girl is first. So, I am nervous and tensed. whether this letter is good or bad."
(horrible) "It seems to be hard, but I feel my school like my house!"
"I see your picture now!! Janaki shows us! You look so young and cute. But. I'm more cute than you!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment