Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Last weekend I went to Seoul to celebrate Noelle's official 24th birthday. (We've all been "24" for a while now here...actually, next Janaury I'll be 25 according to the Korean counting system, a bizarre thought that conjures up in my mind images of living on my own in an apartment, wearing high-heeled shoes and owning cat. And of having a real job. It does NOT conjure up images of riding the bus to school with 60 schoolgirls in uniform, which is how I currently kick off my days.) Anyway, while I was there we went shopping and acquired the following: a black, Korean-style trenchcoat (basic uniform for women over 20), ridiculous sparkly purple nail polish and contact lenses. These items in combination have caused CHAOS at my school. In every class the girls have swarmed me, demanding to know if I have a date with my new boyfriend after school. My two favorite comments so far:
1) Seung-hee: Halle Berry is Catwoman....but now Janaki is Cutewoman!
2) Bo-mi: Janaki, now you look like a girl.
Me: Did I look like a boy before?
Bo-mi: Before....not man, not woman.
Hm. My students really know how to make a girl feel special.

1 comment:

Sarah Hack said...

How will you be 25 "according to a different counting system"? That doesn't make sense to me. Is each year of life slightly shorter in Korea?

And the real reason for my post: will you teach me how to blog?