Thursday, May 31, 2007
My computer is really on the fritz. I'm risking a lot just being online right now...I have the feeling it could explode at any moment. Anyway, despite the peril, I just posted about a billion (more accurately: 36) new pictures of....the school festival and sports day. Tuesday was the school festival. In the morning each of the classes put on skits, almost all of which involved at least one of the following: empassioned singing of ballads, synchronized dancing, cross-dressing, or life-size reenactments of video games. In the afternoon the kids had free time (with an optional Starcraft championship in the computer lab), and all of the school clubs set up stands to sell ice tea, sausages, ice cream, and other Korean stuff that I can't spell....like green onion pancakes. Omigod, my students so have me wrapped around their little fingers. I think I promised just about every club at some point that I would buy something from them, and ended up spending about 15,000 won on endless cups of peach ice tea and hotdogs on a stick, many of which I gave away to random students once I was out of eyeshot. I'm such a pushover. In the evening there were a bunch of performances on the stage that somehow magically appeared out on the field (outfitted, as all Korean outdoor stages are, with spurting fire, flashing neon lights and a number of fog machines). By the next day, all the confetti had been cleared away and the stage removed and everything was prepped for sports day. Each class had their own jerseys, with names on the back ranging from the obvious (Sanghyun, Beckham) to the somewhat ridiculous (Feel Me, Boyfriend, M.J. Loves G.H.). Throughout the day the students played soccer games, tug-of-war, volleyball, basketball, as well as running a number of increasingly silly-looking relay races. (I think it's safe to say that none of my students are going to grow up to be professional athletes...today when I asked my students if they enjoyed sports day they all shouted, "No! We had to run! Really terrible!") At the end of the day there was an awards ceremony, but I have no idea which classes won what, since the teacher I was with would only occasionally lean over to whisper cryptic explanations along the lines of, "This is the award for smiles.'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment