This happened a while ago, but I’ve been so negligent about my blog lately that I’m trying to pad this post so that it seems really substantial. So when my students say bad words in class, I usually make them write me five sentences apologizing and explaining what they did wrong, which they then read out loud at the end of class. These are the five sentences one student chose to share with everyone: “Saying fuck is very bad. We should not say fuck. In America, saying fuck hurts people’s emotions. I said fuck because of surprise, but it was mistake. I’m sorry I said fuck.” I was like, great, that’s 25 more sentences.
Hm, that didn’t fill as much space as I had hoped. Oh! I know! Happy birthday to me. So I’ve been “24” by Korean years for the past month and a half, but tomorrow I turn 23 in REAL years. I guess it’s not that thrilling of a birthday…I guess I don’t get one of those until 30, huh? Does any monumental age-changing happen between 21 and 30? I don’t think so…god, I feel like I’m on a slippery slope to old age here. To celebrate, the host fam took me to “Vikings,” the fancy seafood restaurant in the Lotte Department Store. (“V” is pronounced like “b” by most Koreans, and for one terrible moment I thought we were all going to go biking to Lotte Mart for my birthday.) It was good. For presents the take included: three towels, a lucky pig piggy bank, and a ton of chocolate. Also pretty good. Tomorrow I leave for Japan. Hm, it’s almost midnight….I should probably pack.
But first!
SOME PICTURES OF THAILAND, SINCE I DIDN’T WRITE ANYTHING

This is like a sliver of the pinky nail of the Grand Palace, which is perhap the most overwhelming place I have ever visited. Inside was not only the big Temple of the Emerald Buddha but about a million gold and tile-encrusted buildings, towering, equally encrusted demons, statues of all sorts of bizarre creatures, I don't even know.

The interior of the walls surrounding the Grand Palace are all painted with murals of from the epic Ramayakin (this from the guidebook...maybe the same as the Ramayana? not sure...). Anyway, a major restoration was going on during the time when we visited.

Wat Buparram in Chiang Mai. This place was particularly devoted to the fauna of Thailand, and featured huge plaster giraffes in the front (wait, are there giraffes in Thailand), terra cotta monkeys along the outer walls and actual chickens pecking around in the yard. Chiang Mai used to be the capital city, and even though it's far smaller than Bangkok it has just as many temples, more than three hundred, which basically translates to a wat around every corner. Wat Buparram was definitely one of my favorites.

Also at Wat Buparram. This guy reminds me SO MUCH of the tuna fish guy in a white suit who commands one of the big flying spaceships in Return of the Jedi. Anyone know who I'm talking about? If I were a bigger geek I could probably be more specific, but as it is I'm just enough of one for this to have occurred to me in the first place.

I thought Thai writing was really pretty, even if spoken Thai sounds like a cat choking on a piece of lemongrass. No, that's mean. I take it back. Really. Thailans is wonderful and perfect.

A picture of the king of Thailand at the flower expo in Chiang Mai. Thai people really, really love their king. You can get thrown in jail for saying bad stuff about him, but I'm sure that only ever happens to tourists because he seems to be basically universally adored. It helps that he's considered at least partly divine, but he's also done a lot of grassroots work for the Thai people, and almost any restaurant you go into will have pictures of him trekking through Thai farmland frowning concernedly at the local rice paddies. We arrived shortly after the king's birthday, which was a major national holiday. Yellow was a pretty significant color in the celebrations (I think it has to do with the day on which he was born), and while we were there many, many people still wore their yellow polo shirts with the royal insignia, as though in accordance with some sort of national dress code.

Thai is around 90% Buddhist, and young Thai men are all ecouraged to become monks at some point in their lives, even if only for a week or so. The upswing is that in the major cities, there are many, many monks around, most of them pretty young. This is still at the flower expo, on the way to see the color guard. Oh man. The color guard was really good, and I really hope I didn't offend anyone with my loud snorf when the vaguely militaristic march ended and the soldiers started doing a full body wave to the song "Final Countdown." I tried to explain to Mom that it had nothing to do with the wave and everything to do with a magician named Job, but she wasn't buying it.

Of course we rode elephants! This was our elephant man.

We spent a lot of time outside of the big cities in areas like this one, Mae Hong Son.

I don't know why, but every time we encountered cattle on the road I got really, really excited, the way most women do when they see small children. So here you go: cattle in the road.

3 comments:
I think blogger ate my former post. In it, I told you that I was so inspired by the Lee Seung Chul song that I bought the cd. The CD is utter crap and every Korean, including my parents, agree. That's the problem when Koreans are forced to pump out so many cds.
Happy belated. I miss you.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY; I feel like a real ass that I missed it; however, you would've had to have told me it was your b-day in the first place for me to have known... just kidding, but I owe you something...I will have to think long and hard...perhaps I'll dedicate my first novel to you...or name my first born Janaki (boy or girl)... hmmm...both of those gifts are pretty lame, considering that neither will probably happen and in 30 years you'll be asking me about the birthday present you never got from me on your ever-so-important 23rd birthday...sorry in advance. I'm in Seoul, waiting to fly back to Jeju Isle. I decided to start calling it that; what do you think Jeju Isle...it sounds more exotic than Jeju Island, but that's probably just because NOONE ever calls it that. O.K., we must catch up...let's makea SKYPE date soon. I really miss you, and I hope you'll still consider coming for a visit. I'll be here without classes until March 1st, and I will have all the afternoons free...this was one goddamn long comment, but worth every letter.
Holy crap, I suck. Sorry I missed your birthday. If you visit Madison, I will take you out for fancy beer in honor of the momentous occasion.
love,
Jess
Post a Comment