Most South Koreans I've talked to (read: my host family)haven't seemed to freaked out about the North Korean threat that I keep reading about in American newspapers. I have to admit, though, I'm a little freaked out by this latest development, if not about the North Koreans themselves than by all these military and administration officials who keep being quoted saying that "significant action" will have to be taken and that nuclear test will lead to "severe consequences." Or that if the nuclear test were confirmed it " would spark outrage around the world and dramatically change the security situation in north-east Asia." Eek. Is this just hyperbole? I hope so. Here's my favorite news tidbit so far, though:“Once they do that [nuclear testing], it’s serious," said Harold M. Agnew, a former director of the Los Alamos weapons laboratory, which designed most of the nation’s nuclear arms. "Otherwise, the North Koreans are just jerking us around.”I'm just glad to know that we have such smart and sophistated thinkers working on this issue. I would hate for the US to be "jerked around."
From interviews in Seoul collected by the Korea Herald (Korea's #1 English language newspaper in Korea, it's only major competition being the Korea Times, which is run by the same company. You know the Koreans love their conglomerates.):
"I don't care or feel any threat. I never really thought how our relations with other countries will be affected by North Korea's act."
"North Korea has very unstable political and economic system, so I think it was its last card to pull off to have a better negotiation with other North Asian countries."
"The United States will impose very strong measures against the North, but I don't worry about an immediate war."
"Stupidity. Children and play pets have better sense. They know they're in the same sand pit."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
this is serious stuff....harold knows what he is talking about and i hope he told george. "no jerking around!!!" .....???? i think he is to bellicose though....the same sand pit says it all, too many grown men just jerking us all around...keep us informed......chris
Post a Comment